Question 2

2. Who should I talk to about my child’s difficulties, Special Educational Needs or Disability?

All teachers are responsible for the learning of the children in their class. Your child's class teacher is the first person you should speak to if you have any concerns. They will be able to discuss with you how your child is doing and if they share any of your concerns.

At Bosmere, we hold two parents' consultation evenings each year, one in the Autumn Term and one in the Spring Term. However, don’t feel that you have to wait until these times to talk about how your child is progressing. You can make an appointment with the class teacher at any point.

Class teachers all differentiate to allow children to access the content of lessons. This is part of the everyday quality first teaching that we expect in our school. If the class teacher feels your child is not responding to the support being put in place they may discuss your child with other teachers within the phase. Support may be put in place using teaching assistants or intervention groups run by teachers. Phases may also consult Mrs S Thorpe, the school SENCo (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) to seek advice about interventions and programmes that may be available to help.

Teachers are constantly assessing and reviewing children's learning and progress. The teacher’s then plan the next steps needed to enable children to move forwards in their learning. As part of this process, teachers will identify any gaps in children's knowledge and address this. As this happens on a daily basis for all children, you will not always be informed at this stage. If a teacher has concerns even after support and different strategies have been put in place, they will ask to meet with you to discuss these and look at ways to help and support both your child and yourself.

If you continue to have concerns about your child then please contact Mrs S. Thorpe through the school office to arrange an appointment.