SEND Information Report

How we support children with

Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND)

Bosmere Community Primary School is an inclusive school that welcomes children from all backgrounds and abilities.  The level of ability of a child or any special needs and disabilities that s/he may have plays no part in the admissions policy of this school.  We admit children in accordance with the LA Admissions Policy. Click here to go to Suffolk's School Admissions page

All children, regardless of SEND, are treated equally. Please read our Bosmere Expectations Policy on our policy page (click here for link).

Our school follows the Code of Practice (legal guidance) for children who have SEND.

All classes in school are of mixed ability and teachers provide work that is designed to match the ability of each group. They do this using a variety of materials and classroom support.

If a child has SEN, parents will be informed that their child is being registered on the Special Educational Needs register. These children will have a support plan, which is reviewed with parents and children each term.

For a small proportion of children, the school may need to involve and use the advice of outside agencies e.g. Educational Psychologists. Parents will always be informed of this in advance so that they have the opportunity to ask questions and raise any concerns.

Mrs Sara Thorpe is the school SEN coordinator (SENCo). She works to support children on the SEN Register, parents and staff.  Our SEN governor is Mrs Karen Markham.

For Further Information

For further information about how we support children with SEND in school, please see our SEN policy on our policy page (click here for link). or email our SEND coordinator, Mrs Sara Thorpe on the school email address (


What is Special Educational Needs?

Children have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty which calls for special educational provision to be made for them, which is additional to and different from the provision our well-differentiated curriculum offers all pupils in school (as defined by the SEN Code of Practice 2015).

Children have a learning difficulty if they:

(a) have a significantly greater difficulty learning than the majority of children of the same age: or

(b) have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for children of the same age in schools within the area of the local authority.

What is a Disability?

A disability is described in law (Equality Act 2010) as ‘a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term (a year or more) and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.’ This includes, for example, sensory impairments such which affect sight and hearing, and long-term health conditions such as diabetes or epilepsy. Please read our accessibility policy on our policy page. (Click here for link)

The Local Authority Local Offer

Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

Click on the link below to look at Suffolk's Local Offer

Suffolk Info Link


1. How is a child identified as having Special Education Needs?

2. Who should I talk to about my child's difficulties, Special Education Needs or Disability?

3. How will the school monitor and share the progress of my child?

4. What types of support are available for children?

5. Who provides support for children with Special Education Needs?

6. How can I let the school know that I am concerned about my child's progress?

7. What do I do if I have a complaint around children with Special Education Needs?


Our SEND coordinator is Mrs Sara Thorpe. She may be contacted on the school email address (